Friday, June 17, 2011

My Summer Reading List

Between some vacation trips and a study break I'm taking this summer, I've put together a reading list that I am already working on. These choices reflect my interests as a pastor as well as one of my "guilty pleasures"--American westerns. Maybe a few of them will interest you as well. I hope you will take time this summer to not only refresh and replenish your body, but also sharpen and grow your mind. Happy reading!


Read the Bible for Life: Your Guide to Understanding & Living God's Word, by George H. Guthrie
I met Dr. Guthrie this month at the Southern Baptist Convention and fell in love with this new work he has released. I plan on teaching it this fall on Sunday nights as a preparation course for reading the Bible through as a church next year. It's a great resource every one should have who is serious about knowing their Bible.


Tempted and Tried, by Russell D. Moore
I'm almost finished with this great study on the temptation and triumph of Christ in the wilderness. It's one of the best resources you will find on dealing with temptation in your life.


Hell Under Fire, Christopher W. Morgan and Robert A. Peterson, eds.
I finished this book last month as a resource for preparing my present sermon series on hell. This is a collection of essays on the doctrine of hell by some truly world-class evangelical scholars.


Whosoever Will: A Biblical-Theological Critique of Five-Point Calvinism, by David L. Allen
I'm looking forward to reading this work that is a collection of presentations made at the John 3:16 conference a few years ago.


Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy, by Eric Metaxas
I've heard so many good reviews of this award-winning work by Metaxas. I'm really looking forward to diving in to it.


Radical Together, by David Platt
This is the follow-up to Platt's ground-breaking book. David's probably the most respected voice in the SBC right now.


The Last Gunfight: The Real Story of the Shootout at the O.K. Corral and How it Changed the American West, by Jeff Guinn
I love westerns, so I'm really looking forward to learning more about the real story of the O.K. Corral (even if it ruins it for me when I watch "Tombstone" from now on).


Doc: A Novel, by Mary Doria Russell
"I'm your huckleberry."


The Word Became Fresh: How to Preach from Old Testament Narrative Texts, by Dale Ralph Davis
I've always felt that Old Testament narrative is the most challenging type of text to preach. This is a great new resource for preachers and teachers.


Salvation and Sovereignty: A Molinist Approach, by Kenneth Keathley
Keathley's treatment of these doctrines intrigues me and I'm looking forward to becoming more familiar with his position.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, ten books! Right now, my life is so busy that I just struggle to finish one book, and if that (i.e. I pick the parts I want to read to get the information I am studying). I cannot recall the last time I was able to read a book for myself from cover to cover.

    Keith, I do not know if you remember me talking to you about Molinism when you were talking about God's will on Sunday evenings, but I'm a Molinist. Therefore, I'm very interested in this book. The only source of information on Molinism that I have had has been through William Lane Craig's podcasts and books. I hold to a very strong view on God's sovereignty, and find that Molinism answers some of the inconsistencies of Arminianism and Calvinism.

    ReplyDelete