Monday, June 29, 2009

One reason I love being a pastor...

I could think of dozens of reasons that pastoring a local church is the great joy and privilege of my life. To be sure, some days are better than others; but as a servant to God's flock, one reason that this duty is such a joy is the chance to have a "front seat" when God does a transforming work in someone's life.

Last night we hosted a local Christian band for an evening concert at our church. After the concert I was drifting around meeting visitors and enjoying fellowship with church members. A young lady introduced herself to me that had come with a friend. She was new in our city and looking for a church. I told her I was more than happy to talk to her about our congregation. During the conversation, she mentioned that she came as a guest of her friend, who was a friend of a band member. She mentioned to me that her friend wasn't a Christian, but was looking for answers.

In a few moments her friend walked up. We were introduced and began to talk. Here was a lost person who not only showed up for a concert at church, but had invited a friend. If that isn't someone who is ready for the gospel, I don't know who is! I began to explain the gospel to her and asked her if she was ready to turn her whole life over to Jesus. She enthusiastically said "Yes!"

It was a great finish to an incredible day: one other came forward for baptism and one teenager surrendered to missions Sunday morning. Those are the days when I love being a pastor. Every pastor has seasons of trial and grief in ministry, but thank you Jesus for letting us be a part of your eternal purpose in people's lives! I can't wait for next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment